Friday, April 11, 2008

Sylvia Hermreck's Experiece of Understanding Yourself and Others

I arrived at the UYO (Understanding Yourself & Others) workshop unexpectedly, and at the last minute. I had heard about UYO for several years but there was always a good reason not to attend (funny how many of the other's in my class ended up there the same way). Finding the time to spend an entire weekend at yet another workshop wasn't all that appealing. After all, how life changing can one weekend be?

Ha! How life changing can one weekend be? Well, three weeks later, I can tell you that not one day goes by that I don't find myself contemplating some aspect of thought from that weekend. Not only did I gain knowledge from my own experiences, but also as each of my fellow travelers explored issues in their own lives (including the instructors and assistants) I learned something from each and every one of them. It was astounding to me that a group of such very diverse people had so much in common (and so much to teach, and learn from, each other).

I can absolutely tell you that I would not be where I am today if not for that weekend. I learned so much, that as I am confronted with different situations, choices, or events in my life, I know that just that bit of knowledge which I most need at that moment, will pop into my head from the UYO weekend. Most importantly for today, that weekend I heard what I most needed to hear right now. Isn't it worth your time to go, listen and discover the message you most need to hear at this point in your life?

The spirit of generosity and love exhibited by the Center's "family" also astounded me. As we "newbies" entered the room, unsure of ourselves, huddled around our centers as though to protect our fragile hearts (or is that our egos?), we were surrounded by ebulliently dancing assistants and instructors! They were so beautiful in their joyfulness! Throughout the weekend, they shared their love, their tears, and their courage (along with boxes of Kleenex and bottles of water!) with us. And yes, by the end of the weekend, even I was "dancing"!

As I go forward in my life, one of the things that I have chosen for myself is to be one of those joyfully dancing assistants. So why not sign up for the next UYO, I'd love to be the one to hand you a water bottle, or a hug!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home